Min flirt med symaskinen er ved at udvikle sig til en fuldblods affære! Jeg har ikke kunne holde fingrene fra den og bunken af lækket stof, og strikkeprojekterne er blevet højt og flot overset, mens jeg har muntret mig. Det har gjort mig godt, for det er længe siden, jeg har været så kreativ-glad sådan helt ind i sjælen. Ahhhh stof-terapi!

My flirt with the sewing machine has turned into a full blown affair! I haven’t been able to keep my fingers to myself and have had to keep playing with the machine and the lovely pile of fabric, which grace my stash. My knitting projects have been totally ignored, while I’ve been having my fun. It has been good for me, as it is a long time since I’ve had this happy-creative feeling all the way in. Ahhhh… theraphy in fabrics!

Dagens færdige projekt er en pyntepude til sofaen. Endnu en gang har jeg kastet mig ud i en helt ny teknik, denne gang “string quilt block”. Jeg fulgte instruktionerne fra denne tutorial (dog er mine strimler generelt smallere, men det passer med at mine blokke også er mindre) hvilket virkede rigtig godt. Det er også første gang, jeg har prøvet at sy over papir – hedder det ikke at sy “på amerikansk”? Sjov metode, men det virker rigtig godt.

The finished project of today is a cushion for the sofa. Once more I have jumped into a new technique, this time the “string quilt block”. I followed the instructions from this tutorial (though my strips generally are narrower, which fits with my blocks being smaller) and it worked out really well. It is also the first time I have ever tried sewing over paper – I think it is called “Americal patchwork” here in Denmark. A fun method and one that works really well.

 

Bagsiden er også en historie værd. De to stykker overlapper hinanden, og jeg har føjet et stykke stof med hovedmotivet – det i diagonalerne på forsiden – ind som effekt. Jeg havde de helt perfekte knapper i mit lille knaplager, nemlig nogle søde små æbler. Knaphullerne er syet i hånden, for min maskine kan ikke ret meget mere end det helt basalet (hmmm… måske det er ved at være på tide at realisere drømmen om en lidt bedre maskine).

The back of the pillow is worth another history. The two pieces have a generous overlap, and I have added a piece of fabric with the “main pattern” – the one in the diagonals on the front – for effect. I also happened to have the absolutely perfect buttons in my tiny stash, a couple of sweet apples. The button holes are hand sewn, as my machine is unable to do anything that complicated (hmmm… I wonder if the time is coming to do something about the dream of a better sewing machine).

Puden måler 35 x 35 cm, og der er brugt 14 forskellige slags stof og 1 bånd (de lilla striber). De fleste af stofferne er købt i mine yndlingsstofpushere Speich Design og Fingerbøllet, men som et ægte patchwork projekt er der også rester fra en gammel skjorte, et gammelt gardin og bagsiden af en udtjent pude. Jeg har allerede gang i en pude mere i samme stoffer, men denne gang i log-cabin. Den er dog ikke kommet ret langt endnu.

The cushion measures 35 x 35 cm, and I have used 14 different fabrics and 1 ribbon (the purple stripes). Most of the fabric is bought in my favorite fabric pushers Speich Design and Fingerbøllet, but as a proper patchwork project the pillow also has remnants of an old shirt, an old curtain, and the back of a pillow, which had been used ’till it was in shreds. I have already started another cushion in the same fabrics, but this time utilising log-cabin. It isn’t much more than pieces of fabric strips yet, but it will get there soon enough.

Advertisements